Sunday, March 21, 2010

Home: Where the Spirit Resides

I am home.
How would you define the word home?
They say home is where your heart is. I guess that is an important thing to know.
For those of you don’t know, I am a Wisconsin girl who is currently on a week-long mission trip to Louisiana. There are about 33 of us who took the 25-hour road trip down to Pointe Aux Chenes, LA, and we are here to clean up “The Island.” The Isle de Jean Charles is more of a peninsula, generally populated by the Biloxi-Chitimacha tribe. After the hurricanes went through, it was pretty much left alone. That is why we are here.
This week will be the fourth time a group from my church has come down to this area, my third year. Most of what we have done down here is rebuilding, everything from gutting a bathroom to fixing a trailer house. This year we will be doing more clean up. The people down here are amazing, especially those connected to “My Father’s House Church”. This remarkable church has helped put us in contact with people, offered us a place to stay, and blessed us beyond words.
I am home. Those words echo through my heart and my head. They beat a familiar rhythm as I look around the sanctuary where I sit. I am home in this church building I know so well. I am home as I joyfully greet old friends. I am home as I delight in the joy of people who recognize me, sometimes even remember my name.
They aren’t afraid of calling us family down here. I cherished being called “Little Sister” last year. I love being part of their jubilant, cultural fellowship.
It occurred to me, though, that this isn’t my only “home”. If home is where your heart is, then My Father’s House Church and Point Aux Chenes are my home. But my home is also in Wisconsin. It is in the numerous states where my friends reside, the front steps of PHC, and even on the Here We Are: Daughters of Love chat with my sister’s in Christ. Home is where the Holy Spirit works.
I remember something a friend once said. Though the exact quote escapes me, it went something like “Isn’t it amazing how you can go to any church, any place, and be surrounded by family?”
Yes, it is cool. Super cool! Home is wherever my friends and Spiritual family gather.
Home is Louisiana.
Home is where the heart is.
Home is the where the Holy Spirit moves.
Today is Sunday; we still have a week of work ahead of us. Please keep the mission trip in your prayers. Truly God has blessed us beyond words and we are eagerly praying He continues to pour out the floodgates of heaven.
God Bless You All.
Amy
March 21, 2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as the children of God, we must realize that our hearts should also not be attached to this world. The Bible is clear that our home becomes the place of our spiritual family; Heaven. God prepared heaven to be our permanent home, where we can fellowship with those we love including the most glorious of all, Christ Jesus! Its so wonderful that you find your heart in God's work! Home should be out where we can see and show God's love most and i love that you have had the opportunity to find it in such a non materialistic place! We should place our hearts on things that will last such as the love and joy in Christ. hopefully, we can find ourselves content in that!