Sunday, March 21, 2010

Parent-Child Relationships

We asked a dear friend of ours to write up a post for us. So here is Sarah's thoughts on the subject:

I went through my Bible tonight to find all the parent-child relationship verses I had marked in the past. I was struck by how few there were. “Why,” I asked myself, “didn’t God give us more advice on how teenagers should live with parents?”

Then it occurred to me that God does not believe in teenagers. God addresses children, and adults, young adults it is true, but never this idea we call a “teenager”. 1 Timothy 4:12 “Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.” Instead of expecting special consideration or allowances in behavior because I am a teenager, I need to be an example of a godly woman. If you are ever frustrated by your parents, do you put the responsibility on them by thinking, “My parents don’t understand.”? Would it not be wiser to ask, “Am I acting like a Christian adult?”

God does give us instructions on how to relate to parents, through his example as our Heavenly Father. How are we to obey our parents? As to the Lord. How do you obey Christ? The relationship you have with God should be template for every other relationship.

Specifically, we are told to obey and honor our parents. Ephesians 6:1 “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ‘Honor your father and mother’ (this is the first commandment with a promise), ‘that you may live long in the land.’” This is a hard commandment to follow sometimes. As you get older you realize your parents are flawed humans, and it becomes harder to trust them. The good news is – you don’t have to trust them! God promises that if you obey and honor them, unless they want you to sin, that he will take care of you.

I encourage you to try a new mindset. Next time you have a conflict with a parent, take a deep breath, emotionally distance yourself, consider the stresses they may be under, and take the burden of proper communication upon yourself. Identify how a mature Christian adult would respond, and do that. ~ Sarah

1 comment:

Mark Stenson said...

From 1 John 2:

12I write to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13I write to you, fathers,
because you have known him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
I write to you, dear children,
because you have known the Father.
14I write to you, fathers,
because you have known him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.

I know it says "young men". but I think it applies equally to young women too:-)

Every age, every gender